Biosphere Certification mark
Certification Mark Benefits for Business
Here are just some of the benefits of achieving the Galloway and Southern Ayrshire UNESCO Biosphere Mark:
The Application Process
The Biosphere Certification Mark is registered with the UK Intellectual Property Office who have authorised an application process for businesses to follow.
Step 1 – Become a proud supporter & Reflect on your business
To Apply you first have to be be a registered Biosphere Proud Supporter which can be done here
We then need you to answer the following questions:
1) Has your Business registered as a ‘Proud Supporter’ of the Biosphere ?
2) Is your business located in the Galloway and Southern Ayrshire Biosphere?
3) Does your business fall within one of our key sectors?
• Tourism/accommodation service providers
• Activity/Adventure/Education/Cultural providers
• Therapies and treatment services
• Agricultural and Horticultural services
• Food and Drink producers/Hospitality and Catering/Food and Drink providers
• A business growing/rearing products in the Biosphere (edible/non-edible)
• Creative Industries – e.g. rugs, textiles, jewellery, pottery, wooden goods, books, body products
(please ask if you aren’t sure if your business fits)
4) Does your business make every effort to support local employment?
5) Does your business use the services of and/or buy products from other local businesses in Galloway and Southern Ayrshire Biosphere?
6) Does your business try to look after the local environment?
If you can answer YES to ALL of the above questions you may proceed to the next stage to apply to use the GSA Certification Mark.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org who will explain more about the scheme and Stage 2.
If you answered NO to any of the questions and you want to discuss further please contact email@example.com to schedule a chat.
Step 2 – Application
At next stage of the application process we will ask for more details about your business operations and the goods and services you are looking to certify. You will be given support and guidance from the Biosphere team to help with any queries.
Stage 3: Assessment
We may arrange a visit to your business to gather any supporting evidence to help with the certification. Your application and the results of the initial assessment will be passed on for review by the independent certification mark award panel, comprising representatives from food and drink, tourism, recreation, rural development and environment.
Step 4: Award
If you are successful, your business will receive a Certificate of Award and a licence to use the Certification Mark from the Galloway and Southern Ayrshire Biosphere Partnership Board.
Step 5: Monitoring and renewal
For monitoring purposes, your business may receive a visit at short notice or with no notice. Checks will be made to ensure you are using the Certification Mark logo correctly.
Certification is valid for three years from the time of award. At the end of that period your business will be assessed to ensure it continues to meet the criteria for certification and still complies with the regulations governing the use of the Biosphere Certification Mark. At this point your award will be renewed for another three years. A copy of the regulations is available on request.
Become Biosphere Certified!
There is currently no annual fee to take part in the Certification Mark scheme (although anyone who wishes to do so can make a donation to support the Biosphere).
Applications are accepted twice a year with the windows closing end of November and end of June.
If you’re ready to get Biosphere-certified, click the button below to send your details (name, business name, contact number and/or email address) direct to Marie McNulty, our Business Development lead.